Client: British Petroleum
Project Value: US$800 million
In 2017, Petrofac was awarded a lump-sum contract worth approximately US$800 million by bp for the Phase 2 central processing facility (CPF) at the Khazzan Phase 2 (Ghazeer) gas development in the Sultanate of Oman. This award followed the US$1.4 billion Phase 1 CPF Khazzan project, awarded to Petrofac in February 2014, which celebrated first gas in September 2017.
The project comprises the addition of a third gas train with a capacity for nominally handling 500 million standard cubic feet of gas per day (mmscfd), which will help drive increased total production capacity from the CPF to 1,500 mmscfd. The Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Commissioning (EPCC) scope of work also includes liquid and compression trains and associated infrastructure, as well as brownfield work associated with connecting the Phase 1 and 2 facilities.
Ghazeer - fast facts
• Production began from the Block 61 Phase 2 Ghazeer gas field, three years after Phase 1 Khazzan was brought online.
• Block 61 (comprising Khazzan and Ghazeer) is one of the Middle East’s largest tight gas accumulations, where gas lies at depths of up to five kilometres in narrows bands of extremely hard, dense rock.
• The concession has the capacity to deliver approximately 35% of Oman’s total gas demand and develop an estimated 10.5 trillion cubic feet of recoverable gas resources.
• The development of Block 61 includes a three-train central gas processing facility; a water treatment plant; 400km of gas and condensate export pipelines; a waste management area; an electricity substation; almost 500km of roads; and over 60km of water pipelines.
• The delivery of Ghazeer saw over 19 million safe manhours worked on site without any lost time incident.
• The project underpins bp’s commitment to produce resilient hydrocarbons, with new wells tested and completed using zero flaring.
Ayman Asfari, Petrofac Group Chief Executive commented:
Petrofac has executed a large number of projects for bp across many aspects of our business and we are delighted to be supporting them on the next phase of this pioneering project in Oman. We have a very strong record for project execution in Oman and as part of this have delivered significant in-country value. We look forward to continuing to demonstrate our commitment to a sustainable and long-term presence in the Sultanate through the safe and timely delivery of this project for bp.