Petrofac has been providing services in Iraq since 2010 and has developed a significant track record for helping our clients to unlock value from their onshore and offshore operations. We’ve been involved in a range of greenfield and brownfield projects in the country worth more than US$1 billion.
We’re fully committed to investing in our long-term presence in Iraq. Developing relationships and understanding the operating environment is critical to this. We are engaging with National and International Oil Companies as well as local partners and contractors to support us. We’re also working with local communities to ensure they feel engaged and are benefiting from our presence, including on-going skills and competency development of the local workforce.
Our Rumaila Operating Base offers accommodation and office space to support our operations.
Completed projects include:
- Majnoon oil field (Shell) – early operational support, engineering, procurement and construction management for the development of a new early production facility. This was followed by management and operations of the training centre at Majnoon, supporting the competence development of the national workforce
- Badra oil field (Gazprom) – engineering, procurement, construction, pre-commissioning, commissioning and start-up of the Central Processing Facility. This was followed by maintenance engineering, maintenance execution and support services
Ongoing projects include:
- Rumaila oil field – engineering, project and construction management, training and maintenance services. Major maintenance services for oil and gas water systems. This followed completion of an inspection repair and maintenance contract that covered the rotating machinery, degassing stations and cluster pumping stations
- Iraq Crude Oil Expansion Project – on behalf of Basra Oil Company (BOC), we’re providing operations and maintenance services for the offshore international crude oil export expansion production facility
- Garmian field – a master services agreement to support Gazprom Neft with the provision of engineering services, including planned brownfield works to debottleneck and expand the Central Processing Facility
- Nasiriya gas treatment plant – a front end engineering design modification contract to meet the needs of the plant in Southern Iraq
- Halfaya contract area – we’re undertaking project management consultancy services to support PetroChina, the lead operator. We’re responsible for managing and supervising the development and progress of several engineering, procurement and construction work scopes including: the central processing facility, power plant expansion, gas process plant and all associated facilities
- Training services contracts – we provide a range of training courses (in-country and out-of-country) such as confined space training from our purpose-built confined space training rig in Jordan and gas testing training
- We’re still supporting the Majnoon development in a number of scopes, including the provision of engineering and facilities modification services for pipelines, manifolds etc
- A contract extension and a new award with a combined value of more than US$100 million for construction management, engineering, commissioning and start-up services for two International Oil Companies (IOCs)
Across our projects in Iraq we have:
- Developed a resource pool of 260 locally based personnel
- Developed successful in-country and out of country supply chain infrastructure which has been tested and delivered on multiple projects, including the placing of key service agreements with major original equipment manufacturers (OEMs)
- Achieved fast mobilisation of personnel, including more than 200 personnel for Rumaila and over 75 personnel for Gazprom Badra
- Mobilised ahead of schedule to take over the operations of BOC’s new offshore export facilities
- Developed processes to ensure compliance with Iraq entry and visa process and requirements
- Ensured the health, safety and security of our personnel through the development of adaptable security procedures
Employing local talent is something that Petrofac tries to do in every market, and Iraq is no exception. We’re investing considerable resource to develop local staff and contractors. This includes the delivery of over 50,000 delegate training days for the Rumaila oil field.
Commenting on the award of engineering, operations and maintenance services contracts in 2017:
We’re delighted to have secured important awards with key clients in one of our core countries. There has recently been a considerable shift in the wider region’s market dynamics and consequently I believe these awards reflect our clients’ continued confidence in our ability to deliver cost-effectively and in line with their quality requirements.
Mani Rajapathy, Managing Director, Engineering & Production Services East