Construction Skills Training Centre
Scope: Training centre design, build and management
Location: Hassi Massoud, Algeria
As part of Petrofac’s commitment to the development of local skills within the oil and gas industry in Algeria, we designed and built a Construction Skills Training Center (Petrofac Training Centre) in Hassi Massoud, Algeria with a capacity to train up to 400 delegates annually.
We designed the training centre in 2009, whilst our engineering, procurement and construction team built it in 2010-2011.
- Modern, well equipped, air-conditioned classrooms that can each comfortably seat up to 20 delegates
- Large open workshops containing state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
The curriculum on offer is primarily skills based, with a strong emphasis on health and safety, covering five specialist trade areas:
- Instrumentation: delegates are taught installation and commissioning techniques on pressure, temperature, level and flow instruments
- Electrical: training is delivered on installation and wiring techniques, motor control and electrical measurements for single and three phase systems
- Mechanical: delegates learn how to install and align various types of mechanical equipment, including pumps, valves, bearings and mechanical seals
- Pipe fabrication: training covers the development, fabrication and installation of pipe spools and fittings. Fabrication of ‘special’ fittings is also undertaken
- Welding: taught on plate and pipe to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) standards, using fillet and butt welds in all positions. Techniques include shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) and GTAW/SMAW processes
All supporting manuals, training documents, handouts and presentation materials were designed in-house for this training programme, in English, and then translated to French. All training delivery was carried out in French.