Petrofac first established its presence in Aberdeen in 2002 through acquisition and since then we’ve gone on to augment our strong track record of operating in the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS).
In 2016 we brought together our service lines within one consolidated and integrated business unit called Engineering & Production Services (EPS) West.
EPS West provides life of asset service capabilities supporting International, Independent and New Entrant clients to optimise value from their oil and gas assets - from project start-up all the way through to the late life and decommissioning phases.
We focus on solutions to minimise risk, enhance integrity, reduce costs and unlock more value; essential for all our clients operating in this mature basin.
Our integrated services include:
- Engineering: early conceptual, FEED, detailed engineering and brownfield modifications scopes from minor to major
- Operations: experienced personnel, maintenance and technical support contracts; fully outsourced asset management solutions and transition management
- Training: provision of a range of HSE, technical, emergency response and crisis management training. Find out more about our training centres around Aberdeen:
- Competency: competence consultancy, competence management software, computer-based training and managed services covering training management, competence administration and learning and development
- Asset management: managed services and consultancy designed to help clients and asset owners maximise the performance, efficiency and integrity of their assets
- Well engineering: full suite of services to help clients manage the life cycle of a well, from feasibility to construction management into subsequent plugging and abandonment (P&A)
- Late life/decommissioning: engineering studies and outsourced asset management to extend field life, optimise maintenance and prepare for decommissioning and well P&A
Through Scotvalve Services, a Petrofac owned company, we provide quality repair and precision testing of valves and critical pressure control equipment from a state-of-the-art facility seven miles from Aberdeen Airport.
Through SGC Metering, a system integrator, we provide a range of flow computer services - from conceptual design through to support, training and performance improvement.
Highlights of our UKCS activities
Creating a sustainable future
While low oil prices continue to pose a challenge, we’re optimistic about the future of the UKCS and participate in many committees and forums to encourage the industry to think differently to create increased value and a sustainable future for the basin:
- Oil & Gas UK Efficiency Task Force – Walter Thain, Managing Director of EPS West, is the Chairman of the ETF which drives pan-industry initiatives to achieve efficiency improvements and transformational change, aiming to bring about significant cost savings
- Step Change in Safety’s Simplification Steering Committee – Petrofac is represented as one of 14 industry influencers who aim to simplify and standardise safety processes offshore
- Connected Competence – we’re partnering with the Engineering and Construction Industry Training Board (ECITB) and other service companies to standardise base competence and training requirements for the offshore and site workforce in the UK. Connected Competence streamlines training, increases the base level of competence and assists with the efficient transfer of employees between companies
- Emergency response training workshops – our training business provides workshops dedicated to helping service companies prepare to support their employees and clients during an incident. The workshop covers everything from the roles and responsibilities of a service company during an emergency, to that of the company operating the asset and the Police
Supporting the local community
We’re very active in the local community, supporting educational and enterprising endeavours that make a difference to our employees and the people who live close to our operations.
Since 1998, we've enjoyed a successful education-industry partnership with Kincorth Academy, providing pupils with careers guidance and STEM subject support, as well as week-long placements with hands-on experience of oil and gas activities.
We’ve partnered with the Energy Institute Young Professionals Network (EIYPN) to support the Network’s annual events calendar, aimed at building industry links. As the primary sponsor, Petrofac provides an opportunity for young professionals to network whilst developing personally and professionally. Members of our senior management team regularly sit on event panel discussions.